I Forge Iron

Another 1st knife :)

julian

Just a word about safety. I noticed the end of the knife looks like you may have used a grinder with a hard stone, if you did this is a very unsafe practice. The wood will clog a gringing stone up causing it to overheat in a very short time, this in turn causes the stone to expand and come apart (blowup). I know this beacuse a good friend of mine lost his thumb and index finger when grinding a spikemaul handle flush with the maul head before putting the wedge, in needless to say he never got to use a maul again at least not with his right hand. He was useing an angle grinder with a thick cup stone when this happened. I have stopped other guys that I have been working around that were about to do this and told them the same story, I think it paints a real good picture of how dangerous power tools can be.

i make a lot of stone masons hammers, and after fitting the shafts and wedging up,all the shaft ends are finished on a belt sander, never the grindstone
my father worked at knife fettling ,and they had heavy leather sheaths that they slipped the blade into whilst they finished the handles, and later he if he was making a turnip knife for the farmers he would wrap strip leather tight around the blade,to work on the handle he never held a blade without, he told me he had seen too many knife and razor grinders in the Sheffield trade with fingers of