I Forge Iron

Pump handle forge

JD V

I picked up this little farm forge to try to move into coal forge work.20230916_072053.thumb.jpg.4f068eedbd97a59ef942c7232c74594b.jpg

Blower and all related mechanics work well after a little cleaning and lubrication.

My questions are:

What all am I missing? I assume a grate is needed to be made,

Does the little bowl seem right? It doesn't sit flush.20230916_072125.thumb.jpg.3f5621b69bca54a3ff4db3e078294f53.jpg

Line it with some clay I assume, but should I bevel the clay down to the grate that I'll make, should I use the clay to form more of a fire pit?

The holes in the pan  look like they were intentional, as in something was bolted down to it. Any idea what?20230916_072100.thumb.jpg.eadbd35bafd2f1725a622823b9f069f8.jpg

Any other thoughts opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks 

JD

20230916_072115.thumb.jpg.2b66e0f4cbe9b8896bcd0812fdd529c6.jpg

That's  a pretty standard pan for a "duck's nest." The supply pipe "for that forge" and the air grate would've bolted together through the holes in the pan as seen in your pictures. I don't know what the little pot shown is but don't think it'd be a part of that forge normally, someone could easily have put it there who didn't have a clue. Air grates are wear items and tended to burn out with use. Sorry I don't know how long they lasted, just that they don't last as long as the pans.

The current air grate in mine is a shallow dome up from the pan, maybe 3/4" high. You don't need one of the originals though A very effective grate can be made with 3/8" or 1/2" round bar bent like air pins and laid over the air port in the pan. leave about 3/8" gap in the bends and make them long enough they'll bridge the air port with maybe an inch on each side then pack them in place when you clay the pan. Leave a shallow bowl shape depression down to them for your duck's nest.

I pack the pan with a sand clay mix like I was talking about with George in the JAWBOD thread. I like about 3-4 pts sand to 1pt clay and packed with a mallet, end of a piece of wood, et. with ONLY ENOUGH water to make it squeeze into a lump in your hand. If it leaves your hand wet or muddy add a LITTLE sand clay mix and let it temper preferable over night but a couple hours at least and give it another squeeze. If it crumbles add a LITTLE water. If you're mixing up a 5 gal bucket of sand clay, 1/2 cup of water is a LOT. Mix it thoroughly and let it temper. 

It's not as critical as the above sounds but if you make mud, even as wet as potter's clay it'll cause problems and too dry it won't stay in plac when you rake coal or clinker, not insurmountable problems but who needs more on their plate than necessary eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty has covered it pretty well. The fire grate is bolted through the pan and good ones are available through Centaur Forge. I like the ducks nest fire pot also. Here is a picture of the grate I bought with the clay fire pot I made.

100_2068.thumb.JPG.18f1593dcdbe790aa4177bc3ba27b11a.JPG

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus