I Forge Iron

Old rusty chimenea forge?

HeimAhrkTu

Hey all! I finally got back into the forging mood, but the problem is, I still haven't got my forge up and running yet. I managed to get my hands on this chimenea, but it's pretty rusty.IMG_20230621_162842570.thumb.jpg.72ccd71c19d0e612e65cd17a67cd1524.jpg I might be able to route the bellows through a hole in the bottom, and the grate that holds up the fuel is still remarkably intact, I just need to make a new door and get some charcoal or coke. Any advice? Will the rust affect anything?

My concern would be that a forge fire with an air blast is goind to be a lot hotter than a normal fire.  So, the clay chimenea may be subjected to more thermal stress and possibly crack or simply fall apart.  You may be able to minimize the risk by keeping your forging fire smalish and in the center of the grate.  Also, the grate has slots all over it to provide a draft to the wood fire.  You probably want to block most of these slots except what is feeding the fire in the center.  Possibly clay or a  circular sheet of metal with a hole in the canter.  You have to tear everything down to clean the ashes and clinker out.

Finally, unless it was elevated somehow I wouldn't want to work with a fire that low.  My back and knees wouldn't be happy.

As an alternative you may want to look up JABOD (Just A Box of Dirt) forges.  Those may be a better chyice than a chimenea.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS Don't worry about rust.  "In rust we trust."

I wouldn't try and make it into a forge. Have you looked into the JABOD forges, easy to make and usually with materials already on hand. Then you could use the Chimenea for it's intended purpose a fire pit.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

the clay chimenea may be subjected to more thermal stress and possibly crack or simply fall apart.

I'm pretty sure it's not clay, but cast iron. It's just really rusty. A JABOD forge might be just what I need, though. I simply thought it would be easier to modify a preexisting object to suit my needs than it would be to make something new from scratch.