I Forge Iron

Vulcan Anvil-cast iron and steel contrast

ILoveSteel

Good morning!  Thought this was interesting enough to share!

I knew that my Vulcan anvil has a 1/4" thick steel face with a cast iron body, as most Vulcans do.  While hammering out some plant hangers yesterday, I noticed this jagged chip on the anvil edge.  

This break really highlights the difference in color and texture between steel and cast iron, as well as the line across the anvil face where the two metals meet.

20230604_092643.jpg

20230604_092633.jpg

20230604_092408.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those are very neat pictures. Cast iron and high carbon steel really are very different materials, Not only do you have different compositions in two sections of the anvils but you also have different structures since the base is cast and the top is made from rolled plate. My first "real" anvil was a 150# vulcan. I sold it to a friend so I could reinvest in a a decent and slightly large Peter Wright. I was not a bad anvil, but I have a preference for steel or wrought iron anvils myself. That is mostly because they are easier to repair if needed.