I Forge Iron

Buffalo forge restoration finally complete!

Picked up this old Buffalo forge a couple months ago, it was in rough shape. I snapped off every fastener except the set screws for the legs. I removed the rust from all the parts with a combination of evaporust, electrolysis and mechanical methods. I then coated it all in POR15 high temp paint, which by the way, I am extremely impressed with. The wheelbarrow handles I made from Alaskan yellow cedar. I used that material due to the rot resistance and strength.

The tuyure had a piece broken off at the flange where it connects to the fire pot. I fabricated a "repair flange" with a sleeve that went down into the tuyure a couple inches. This allowed me to build up weld on the areas missing material. Finally fired her up today for the first time.

PXL_20230403_110914277.jpg

PXL_20230521_230538358.jpg

PXL_20230522_022822401.jpg

PXL_20230522_020225615.jpg

Great job!  Are you plnning on any kind of hood?  Even working outside I have always liked a hood because of the shade it throws on the fire and keeping any smoke away from my face.  Also, working outside in the Wyoming wind I have had the wind interfere with the fire directly.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm not sure of the practicality of your flue gas re-entrainment strategy.  If your forge is already using the coal efficiently, the flue gasses will have greatly depleted oxygen content (which is what is needed for the combustion reaction with the burning coal).  The gasses will be hotter, which can aid in efficiency, but since you will have much less O2 in the mix, you will need much more "air" in your fireball.  I think you will quickly hit a point of diminishing returns.  Now if you can figure out a system to have the flue gas preheat the incoming air using a heat exchanger, that would be another thing altogether.  I doubt you will get payback in any reasonable time schedule on a hobby forge.