I Forge Iron

New from Washington

JDTaylor

Hey Folks,

I was born in Alabama and moved to Battle Ground WA because of work.   I've been doing some beginning blacksmith stuff for a few years.  Mostly building a better forge, a powerhammer,  grinders,  press and such.  But now, I'm retiring and plan to do this a lot more.  I just discovered this forum, and this is my first post. 

I  thought I could pick up some tips as well as share any new ideas I might have.  Also, I''d like to share some pics of my stuff as well as get some new ideas of stuff to make.  

As I get more familiar with this forum, I hope to find a few pics of projects and ideas.  If there are newbies in my area, I'd be happy to share what I have learned so far... unfortunately blacksmithing is an art that you will never master.  I hope to continue to improve and learn this craft until I'm too old to swing a hammer.  

20220602_132326.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize photo

Welcome to the forum JD! There are lots of ideas in here depending on what you want to do. The thread "What did you do today" in particular has the most activity in regards to projects, I think. 

But if you want to make tongs or tools, there's a whole topic with those posts. 

Or if you think of something you want to try, just search using your favorite web search engine. Example, bottle opener. You would search:

Site:iforgeiron.com "bottle opener" 

And all the posts from this forum with "bottle opener" would show as results. 

Have fun! 

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

First, IFI is a pretty cool place with very interesting folk.  Ages from early teens through 80s. Eductaion from drop outs to advanced degrees.  Just about any kind of life experience you can think of.  It's world wide, G rated forum.  So, stay away from politics, releigion, and sex and keep your language suitable for a little girl and all will be well.  Oh, quote sparing ly, not a whole posting, and don't post any links to commercial sites.  You can mention a company but not a direct like, e.g. "You can get it form XYZ company." is OK but "you can get it at xyz.com." is not OK.

Second, I hope you come to love the craft as much as I have for the last 44 years.  It has helped me thorugh tough times and made the good times better.

The only piece of advice I can offer at this point is to find your local Artist Blacksmith Association of NOrth America affilliate (I think your nearest one may be in Vancouver, WA), join, and participate in activities.  It will be worth the cost of membership many times over.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."