I Forge Iron

Looking for information on my buffalo forge

PNW_Sparky

I recently acquired a buffalo model 240-h forge. I have looked through all the various catalogs for Buffalo that are available on the internet and so far I have yet to find one with that model number. I will be restoring this unit, so I'd like to find an original catalog page or sales brochure that shows what the forge would have looked like in its original configuration. Hoping one of you experts can help me out. Thanks.

PXL_20230403_110914277.jpg

Nice, I had one like it till an ex-associate decided he needed it worse and bundled it with a lot of other things of mine I've never seen again. 

Are you planning on using it or putting it on display? If you "restore" it the pretty will go about as fast as you put it to work. Brush the rust off and line the interior with clayey soil, about 2 pts sand to 1 pt clay with just enough moisture you can ram it hard with a mallet or the end of a 2x4, etc. 

By brush I recommend a light touch with a wire cup brush in an angle grinder. Don't push on it and for HEAVEN'S SAKE wear PPE or those wires will find every exposed nook and cranny on you. Blue jeans and shorts count as exposed to those little flesh darts. 

Rustoleum engine or header paint for the outside will add years to it. Buffalo forge $ blower painted their products whatever color the retailer buying them wanted so pick a color you like and make up a good story about it.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's expensive stuff. A coat of Ospho primer and Rustoleum engine paint is WAY cheaper and Ospho doesn't care about the heat. 

Not that I'm recommending Ospho it self but I've used it and am more than impressed after 35-40 years. Any Phosphate primer will make a layer of iron phosphate that can't rust. A phosphate etching epoxy primer is about as bullet proof as it gets. 

Even after de-rusting the surface of your forge WILL drink paint like soda on a HOT day.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Nice forge. I've got one similar to that but the sides aren't as deep, it's a bit bigger and it's all one piece, the firepot isn't removeable. I traded a truck for mine years ago and it was super rusty when I got it. I broke several bolts and one of the brackets that holds the blower on when I was moving it