I Forge Iron

Pheasibility of old permanent mold formulas

Hello everyone, while researching permanent molds as I want to repeatedly cast the same thing. While researching I ended up finding a few formulas in Volume #2 of The Chemical Formulary and they look good, but I feel like they would only survive one maybe to cast, not be "permanent" like the formulas suggest. I'm still going to try them out I just wanted to see what you guys thought of them first.

Formula #1:

3 Part by weight Chromite

1 Part Fused Silica

1 Part Bentonite 

Formula #2:

100 Parts Ground Soapstone

15 parts Sodium Silicate

25 parts water

I'll just mention that in Formula #2 ground saopstone is talc.  The concern with that is that talc often has asbestos as an accessory mineral.  That is why finely ground corn starch has mostly replaced mineral talcum powder.  So, big red flag for really good inhalation protection if you are grinding your own soapstone.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the varieties that are sold for carving (I have bought it at Hobby Lobby) but I would be more careful if I were grinding up drops of soapstone sinks or counters.

Also, the bentonite in Formula #1 might be somewhat of an issue because it swells when wet and contracts as it dries.  I don't think that would be a good quality in a mold.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Have you looked up chromite sand?  It's evidently used in the foundry industry these days.  I don't know about it contributing to permanancey of your molds though. I might have to get a copy of that book you have, just for fun.  Chromite is a bit of a rabbit hole.  It led me to chromium, then hexavalent chromium and all over the place.  I would do a lot of research on these things, just for safety and piece of mind.