I Forge Iron

Space structure plate

alireza jalili

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. It might help to know where in the world you are located. Also the size of the part may help. I would think different countries/regions would use different techniques for forging. I would venture a guess as to closed die forging.

Either die forged or machined on a lathe would be my guess.  However, the surface in the photo does not indicate any machining marks.  Also, there is the possibility of it being cast in a mold.  The pitting on the surface looks to me like it has either been sand cast or has suffered weathering.  Die forged or machined, with no weathering, would have a smoother surface.

So, "Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice."

26 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. It might help to know where in the world you are located. Also the size of the part may help. I would think different countries/regions would use different techniques for forging. I would venture a guess as to closed die forging.

İ am from Iran and the largest diameter of this part is 48mm

We won't remember your location once leaving this post hence the suggestion to add it in your profile so it shows up with every post. At 48 mm and if it has a hole through it, I would say it's forged using closed dies and a large power hammer or press. The roughness of the metal doesn't look to be turned on a lathe to me.

Just about anything is feasible if you have a large enough machine and enough budget.  If you need thousands of them then a large investment in manufacturing them is justified.  If you need 3 then hand making them, probably by machining them on a lathe is more feasible.  You will also have to decide what material it needs to be made from depending on the strength you need and in what environment it will be.

BTW, welcome aboard from 7500' (about 2300 meters) in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.  If you put your location in your profile it will remind us where you are.  We will probably forget what you said once in a post.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

12 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Either die forged or machined on a lathe would be my guess.  However, the surface in the photo does not indicate any machining marks.  Also, there is the possibility of it being cast in a mold.  The pitting on the surface looks to me like it has either been sand cast or has suffered weathering.  Die forged or machined, with no weathering, would have a smoother surface.

So, "Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice."

İ know this is forged part not machining. But my question for methods of forging the rear step and cone. İs it possible to produce this part in one step forging?

8 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Just about anything is feasible if you have a large enough machine and enough budget.  If you need thousands of them then a large investment in manufacturing them is justified.  If you need 3 then hand making them, probably by machining them on a lathe is more feasible.  You will also have to decide what material it needs to be made from depending on the strength you need and in what environment it will be.

BTW, welcome aboard from 7500' (about 2300 meters) in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.  If you put your location in your profile it will remind us where you are.  We will probably forget what you said once in a post.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

These parts are available in 8 different sizes and the smallest one has an external diameter of 48 mm and weighs about 200 grams. We want to produce about 50,000 of each.

4 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

See my post above.:)

Ok 

Yes, you would have to machine a die and then have an appropriate sized blank to be squashed into the die with a large enough hydraulic press and then, if there is a hole through the part, drill the hole.  More complex forging could do it with the hole if you used a blank similar to a piece of pipe.

You may want to ask your question on a forum or an individual with more expertise in industrial processes.  We are blacksmiths who make things one at a time by hand.  Making 20 or 30 of something is a large order for us.