I Forge Iron

Etching - formula base

GOOD MORNING GUYS !

Is there a good formula to etch a damascus pattern ?

I use this material - c-40 c-70 - c90

a solution of 70% Ferric Chloride

30% distilled water

wash with water and 10% of sodium bicarbonate.

polish with 600 grit or up

take this formula to AES custom knife

Many thanks for your help

Most of use use Ferric chloride, but we mix it 1 part ferric to 3 parts distilled water. Basically the reverse of what you mentioned.

As a general rule with damascus, the slower the etchant, the better the etched blade will come out. If the etch is too aggressive, you will often get what we call a "muddy" pattern, where things look smeared together instead of a crisp definition between the materials.

I'm not familiar with the steel types you listed (European?)

Another hint for etching is CLEAN. The blade must be 100% clean before etching. I use latex gloves, clean the blade with acetone, followed by window cleaner. I use TSP (trisodium phosphate) after the etch to neutralize, and scrub the blade with #0000 steel wool and soapy water.

Sort of depends on what you want out of an etch. For my bandsawblade and pallet strapping billets I like hot vinegar and salt as it show the pattern *BRIGHT* rather than the dull grey of ferric chloride.

OTOH it doesn make any topography

Very strong tea makes for a different etch with purple black highlights on some alloys. (but no topography)

Many folks like topography but it gets in the way of a using knife in my opinion.