I Forge Iron

Western Giant Trip Hammer

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Western Giant trip hammers. Here is a picture of my 25 pounder.

Picture_059.jpg

As you can see, they closely resemble the old style LG. Does anyone here know if the components are compatible with LG parts? There are a couple of parts on mine that might need replacement before too much longer.

I have taken plenty of pictures and measurements and sent them to Keri at LG at her request, but have not received any feedback. LG has only seen 1 other Western Giant before (it was for sale on ebay).

I purchased mine 16 years ago for $300 and it sat disassembled. A couple of months ago I reassembled it and mounted a 1hp motor and got it running again (probably the first time it has run in over 50 years). In my EXTREMELY limited experience, it seems to strike well, the speed can be somewhat controlled with the treadle, and the clutch is not dragging (i.e. it stops pounding when the foot treadle is disengaged). It is the only trip hammer I have ever used, so take my review with a huge grain of salt.

Any information that anyone can provide on Western Giants would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Save for being a Jardine, mine is an identical twenty-five pounder, including the v-groove cut for the belt. I use a flat belt on mine. I am pretty happy with mine, as even before I bolted it to the floor, two hours of use and it only moved a couple of inches.