I Forge Iron

Natural gas forge

KYBOY

Just wondering if anyone uses natural gas for their forge..lots of folks around here got free gas for allowing gas companys to drill on their property.Theirs a well on mine in fact..What modifications have to be done to a gas forge to accept natural gas??

I have not tried it yet, they tell me it has to do with orifice size. You will probably need a blown system as most of the time natural gas is brought into a building at 11" of water column, that is about 1/2 pound of pressure. One of my customers is supposed to try one of my forges on natural gas and let me know, still waiting.

I guess it depends on the company and how bad they want to drill, these get free usage for life..Its in the contracts.Thats a very good point to consider though...In these cases it was that or the gas company had to find somewhere else to drill..My family farm had free gas like that..They cant go around too easy if you own the whole hollar.. :D

It depends in part on available psi. If it's high enough, say 6-7psi or better you're good to go. If the available psi is too low a gun burner works just fine.

You'll need to adjust a naturally aspirated burner to induce air at 10:1 (Air to gas) as opposed to 17.5:1 (Air to Propane). This actually makes it easier to get the burner up and running because of the lower induction requirement. In fact it makes using a linear preferable to using an ejector type burner, ejectors are too efficient and require too much detuning to hit the neutral burn ratio.

Don't let the lower BTU/cu/ft of nat gas worry you, the lower air requirement more than makes up for it. Less nitrogen to waste BTUs heating.

That's a GO for the can it be done question. Now it's up to you to determine if it's practical, available psi, consumption cap, etc.

Frosty