I Forge Iron

I’ve got a German Anvil…

Hi everyone,

Recently i’ve purchased this German Anvil dating from 1927. The edges are super nice rebound is about 85/90%. 

It’s 275lbs.

The guy who sold it to me said there should be a big S marked on it. I haven’t found it yet. It would stand for the German word “Standard” or “default” in English.

Does anyone know more about these anvils. The guy still has the big brother of this anvil. Maybe I will pick this up as well since they were made together.

Thanks

Alex

AFF1CEDF-BB6B-4761-88FF-EBE30EA55A30.jpeg

1862E6AE-017A-4068-8ED7-A61B9B244268.jpeg

BB2B9BA5-D76F-4A71-B515-AF1528AEF430.jpeg

Hello, 

Just the letter S for Standard would be a novelty for me, of course my knowledge is limited. The large S could also be part of the markings punched by Sichelschmidt & Schlasse (who marketed some of their anvils under the term Standard) or Söding & Halbach. Both usually punched their brand logo in between those big letters (S&S not as regularly) and also their style of marking differs from your anvil, so it is probably something entirely different. But who knows, maybe something else will turn up?

Edit: Are there any markings on the backside or on the upsetting block?

Cheers! 
Julian

Edited by Julianb

Julianb

Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from said the S marking should be right under the table of the anvil. Only thing is, this anvil does not really have a table.

I’m at my workshop coming Monday again. So I will check the whole thing for markings and get back to you.

Take care