I Forge Iron

Reapplying Refractory

I have recently decided to freshen up my propane forge with some new refractory because it is starting to fall off (due to me being a little rough with it) and was having trouble finding any information on how to go about it. I have started peeling off the old stuff without too much wool being harmed and am not sure if I will have to replace the wool anyways or if I will need to apply rigidizer to it. Any advice is appreciated thanks. 

If I were going to break the hard refractory out I'd just replace it all. YES rigidize it even if you leave the old ceramic wool. You can't over do rigidizer. Don't take that as a challenge, I'm sure it's possible. 

Cut the ceramic wool a little large so you have to compress it a little, it'll expand and hold itself in position a little better.

Butter it (spritz it with water) so the rigidizer flows into the wool and bonds properly and spritz it as heavily as you like with rigidizer. I dipped one liner in a pan once and it worked nicely though I don't recommend the method it was WAY messy.

Cure the rigidizer with a soldering torch or the forge burner, low red heat if just right and no it doesn't  need to be dry the flame will dry it out without causing a problem.

Butter the wool before you apply the castable refractory so it'll bond properly. Allow it to cure as per manufacturer's recommendations and it's good to go.

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.