I Forge Iron

Trying to restore an old Rivet Forge

hammeredSoul

Hi Everyone...

I've got this old rivet forge I've been meaning to restore. That is until I dropped the ratchet and broke it on the concrete. I have all the pieces and have contemplated gluing it with jb weld. I've looked into getting it welded, brazed, or even casting a new one. Crossing my fingers that someone here has an extra ratchet laying around they don't need. If not, any advice would be very much appreciated.

ratchet.jpg

Depends upon what type of welding. Arc, Tig, oxy/acc. Also if your friend is familiar with welding cast iron. Generally cast iron must be preheated and cooled down slowly and the correct rod used. This thread explains it better than I could.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/62313-cast-iron-welding-rod/

• 1 month later...

Ive got one similar, on one of my rivet forges that’s still in one piece, 

now getting it off without breaking it would be a different story lol

that forge has been setting for decades outside before I found it awhile back, and everything is froze solid, most of the parts aren’t any good but that gear is and the pan is in pretty good shape with no cracks

E20B5EBC-2FCA-4994-AFB3-659B1C813230.thumb.jpeg.9c56e6fe2c49febd9941f8b5c02945ec.jpeg