I Forge Iron

I'm ready to "glue" up my forge, just looking for some expert feedback before I so something ireversable

I've got soft fire brick, I plan on stacking and sealing all joints and seams with fire place mortar that's good up to 2000F,  once that's all done I plan on dressing and smoothing the inside as needed then coating the inside with ITC 100, all surfaces to be dampened prior to product application, I've got rigidizer and for that or if it's better I can use water.

I know the mortar I've got is only good to 2000F but I figured with the coating of ITC 100 inside it will offer pretty solid protection, any critical flaws anyone can see with my method? 

Cheers!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members in your area. That and lots of questions are location specific.

What kind of soft fire brick are you using? Besides the heat rating on the mortar there's the very real issue of rapid thermal expansion / contraction with a propane forge. 

Good luck using ITC-100, it's not really formulated for propane forge environment or purposes. It's sold as a release agent to prevent things from firing to the kiln furniture. As such it doesn't "fire" and remains friable, it will scrape and rub off. The high zirconia content is a good IR re-radiator though but there are better kiln washes for a propane forge.

We also love pictures.

Frosty The Lucky.

I found that no matter what I coated them with, soft fire brick deteriorates  rapidly in the propane forge. I use them for doors on our forge only because I have a lot of them from the Kilns. If you decide to go ahead and build a brick forge I suggest using Morgan K26 bricks.