I Forge Iron

Propane Regulator Selection?

Greebe

I am working on building a propane forge with a 3/4" Mikey Burner and was looking for a regulator for it. I was planning on just buying one of these cheap ones found on Amazon, but when reading the reviews it sounds like a lot of people have had problems with leaks, and hoses flying off the barbs causing fires. So don't think I want to go down that road.

81jB-xDcLJL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

So instead I started looking at real regulators make in the USA by welding companies, and found this Harris 25-50C-510. It looks way better, but then I will need a grade T welding hose and split the two lines apart or a dedicated propane hose which is more money, plus order some extra fittings, and it will add quite a bit to the price.

What do you guys think?

HarrisReg.jpg.720841d2c66215f1c6c7c4d77a8823a8.jpg

Boy, one extreme to the other! How about looking at a 1-30 psi regulator at "The Propane Warehouse" web site, the name will get you there. Last I looked, a week ago, they were $42 and change plus shipping unless you bought enough, adding a 6' hose puts you over the free shipping line I believe. The brass plug in the regulator's body is where you connect a pressure gauge. Also good price at the same place.

Happy shopping.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ayup, I've had a 0-20lb version in operation for a good 35 years without a flutter. You can buy the fittings, paste thread sealer, etc. from them too. 

They're a good outfit and back the products they sell.

Frosty The Lucky.