I Forge Iron

Starting a ABANA group?

Bantou

How does one go about starting a ABANA affiliated group? I live in an area with lots of hobby smiths but no groups within reasonable driving distance. I tried looking at the ABANA website, but it appears to be down. 

There is an office phone number in the Ring or the Blow, you might try calling them directly. I've never been impressed with response to email or website contact attempts. I could be wrong but I think the staff is volunteer.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got into it earlier as well. What Irondragon said is correct. You need to have a group up and running before you can become affiliated. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to try and get a group established from scratch, nor do I have the space to host meetings. I live in a small house in town and recently (just over a week ago) became a single parent to two girls (16&4). 

I was hoping that they had resources available to help with starting a group. I don’t mind championing the idea, but I don’t have time for hunting down a place to have meetings, finding funding, planning events, etc. 

I think what I’m going to do for now, is start a Facebook group for central Texas blacksmiths and just see how much traction it gains. If enough people are interested, hopefully one of them will have the time and be better equipped to actually start a group.