I Forge Iron

Getting out there

Lythocrist

Hi, I'm Peter, a young smith from Florida aspiring to make blacksmithing a profession. I started smithing around nine years ago at the age of eleven.

I have a family history of metalworkers, ranging from farriers who hobby blacksmith to precision machinists who actually made parts for the Lunar Module.
Sadly the machine shop is now out of business, and all the hardware sold at scrap prices...(What I would have given for the eight food bandsaw and sheet fabrication tools...)

I started out using a campfire with a reversed wet dry vacume for a blower, a carpenter's hammer, and an old metal water pump as an anvil. Once my parents saw that my smithing was not just a phase, they gave in and got me a real anvil and a whisper momma.
Since then I have mainly been smithing blades, and practical ironwork for home and garden.

I am COMPLETELY self taught and have no conventional education in smithing other than first hand experience. For about a year I stopped working the forge to persue music, but flaky individuals brought that to and end.

I've now picked up the hammer again and been producing better than I did before. I've seen the amazing works of the worlds ironworkers and hope one day I can produce work that people will enjoy not only looking at but using.

I need to get out there meet more smiths, and take on bigger projects. My email is retepsk8@yahoo.com if anyone would like to contact me directly.

Flaky people? I hope you don't find any here but you never know. After a few years of snorting the by products of a coal fire and getting your brains fried you just never know what kind of people you will find associated with hammers and anvils. They are often beyond flaky, actually down right weird. There are a lot of Floridians on this site and there is even a blacksmith association there too. I'm sure that they will be talking to you. Welcome!:cool: