I Forge Iron

handle questions???

ok Im a blacksmith, never made a knife before. axes and chisels but no knives. I forged a kitchen knife copied after my favorite vetagable chopping knife that was bought at some big store.

So how do i attach wood to the handle? what kind of epoxy would you recomend and where do i buy it? what grit should i sand the tang to so the epoxy sticks. the pins are just glued in or riveted over? the pins can be any kind of brass stock? Is rosewood a suitable wood for a handle? Its just some wood i have laying around do i have to stablize the wood before attaching?

many thanks in advance!

Neewbee

I attach antler and wood handles with two part epoxy. I would think that any hard wood, would be fine for handle material. I've seen pins both riveted and just glued in. All my handles have a hidden tang. I've never pinned a handle, so I can't help you much there. .....Hope this helps

So how do i attach wood to the handle? what kind of epoxy would you recomend and where do i buy it?

For hidden tangs, I always use J.B. Weld. I'll even use it for slabs if I don't mind having a thin gray line where my fit isn't perfect. I ain't a big fan of the Devcon (?) stuff, but there are a lot of good 2-part epoxies if you look around.

what grit should i sand the tang to so the epoxy sticks.

Rougher the better if it ain't gonna show. On slab handles, I'll take the Dremmel and kinda dish out the center of the tang and leave it rough. This way, the slabs only have to make full contact on the very edges. This elimination of surface area makes for a better fit.

the pins are just glued in or riveted over?

Your call. I've never seen an epoxied pin fall out, but piening just give you that feeling of over-built toughness... unless you mess up and crack your slab. If you are going to pien them, put a slight cone in the end of the hole for the pin to swell into. This way you can still sand the pin flush and it will still be tight.

the pins can be any kind of brass stock?

I usually get un-fluxed brazing rod, but any will work. I like iron / steel pins (more of a 18th Century vibe), so I often use finish nails.

Is rosewood a suitable wood for a handle? Its just some wood i have laying around do i have to stablize the wood before attaching?

I've never used rosewood, but I have seen it used a lot. Looks good when done right. You can do a lot of research on home-brew stabilization, but if it's seasoned well, I'd give it a try without it. Just rub it out good with linseed or something similar when you're done.

Be sure to post some pics when you're done.

Good luck,

Don