I Forge Iron

hello from ohio

evilmonkey

i've been around reading all your guys great info, and i doubt i'm even a tenth of a way through the stuff yet. I just figured tonight i would stop ghosting around and say hi to everyone.
i haven't started yet, or even built or bought a forge. i really don't have the money for either right now. (i know if you want a primitive forge you don't need much money, but as i am in debt that isn't even open to me. as soon as i can find some metal laying around that isn't galvanized i will make something to contain my fire, i already have a flat rock [yes that's how broke i am]) but as it's something i know i really want to do i have been reading anything and everything i can get my hands on, and this site draws me back every time.
Thank you all, and hopefully in the future i will be able to add to the collective

If you can manage digging a hole in the ground, pumping some air into a solid fuel in the hole, you got a forge. Put it on a table to keep from squatting, it saves the knees. Look for a heavy piece of metal, 50 - 100 pounds but anything will work, a ball peen hammer or any hammer for that matter, and something to get hot and hit. Total cost if your a good scrounger is zero, not so good a scrounger, maybe a little more.

Start by looking everywhere you go, or on your return trip. Take the back alleys, look into dumpsters. Look for businesses that generate metal scrap and introduce yourself and declare your intentions concerning their scrap and dumpsters. A dozen donuts will go a long way.

If the alley rats can find it and haul it to the scrap yards, the material is out there. You just have to win the rat race, in order to grab the metal first.