I Forge Iron

My "acquired" anvil. Little help with ID?

The story is that I was telling my good friend, Tom, of my desire to try something new and needed help finding a hunk of steel to hammer on.  I thought he might be able to help me or be able to pass on info to other friends as he works for a plastic injection molding company and has guys around that might know a lot more sources than I at this point. Then Tom says, "I'm positive there's an old anvil in my grand dad's old building.  Maybe we can take a look, let me talk to my dad about it."  Well, we headed out there and on the way his dad said he'd let me have it on a loan basis.  The building was a mess but we found it without too much trouble.  Here's some pics I got after knocking off quite a bit of rust.  

There's a "12" on the front under he horn.  There are what look like logo marks on each side but they are too weak for me to tell, but maybe somebody can recognize shapes. I'm just really thankful to have something like this.

Front under horn.jpg

full image.jpg

one side.jpg

other side.jpg

Does it weigh a bit less than 120 pounds?   

Injection molding can have very nice improvised anvils for molds and things like H-13 pins used to push items out.  There is always a market for H-13 at Quad-State; I've bought a bunch there over the years to make tooling like slitters and punches that profit from hot hardness when buried in glowing steel.  You might see if you can get any trading stock.

It's every bit of 120 pounds or so it felt.  took all the two of us had to get it up on the stump.  Yea, I was thinking along the lines of snagging a worn out or broken mold!  He's the molding manager for a plant that produces headlight and tail light assembly's for Honda here in central Ohio.

I got my 400+# Trenton from a fellow in Marysville---who had brought it to Ohio from a copper mine in Arizona, which had bought it from the manufacturer in Ohio.  I proceeded to take it with me when I moved out to NM.  It has at least 5000 miles on it!

See if you can buy stuff at the price they get paid as scrap.  An arrangement like that generally holds up better in the long term than getting a piece or two free.

This one will definitely go back to them whenever I find my own.  I had seen in other posts you had been up here in Ohio at one time.  My buddy's plant is in London and supplies the big Honda plant in Marysville.  We live about an hour south of there near Chillicothe.

It looks a lot like a Vulcan to me. They cast the weight in the front foot on many anvils and the hardened faceplate looks thin, which is also a Vulcan trait. Tap it lightly around the faceplate with a small hammer if it doesn't ring but has a thwap sound that would reinforce my thinking. Still it is a usable anvil. I believe Badger's and Mousehole's do ring like a bell.

I think it's a Badger. The body and horn aren't the right proportions for a Vulcan, and the Vulcan logo would be large and proud on the side.  I've never seen a Vulcan without the big logo on the side.

Oh, one more thing (edited).  I am pretty sure Vulcan's have a 1/4 inch plate on top.  If the faceplate is thicker than that, it might also be an indicator.  

As I recall Badgers were made the same way as vulcans and so won't ring.   A picture from the rear of the anvil would help differentiate.  Badgers have a bulge on the underside of the heel where the hardy comes through and the inlet directly under the hardy hole in the back foot IIRC.