I Forge Iron

Power Hammer advice and/or opinions

Good day, I'm new to the forums but need some immediate assistance from knowledgeable gentleman. I wasn't sure where to post so here goes. I'm in the process of purchasing a power hammer of significant size, however this was not the original plan. I live in South Africa and you just don't see used hammers for sale EVER. So when I came across this hammer by accident, well I absolutely needed to have it. The seller cannot provide me with solid information, and I need to know if I should give up and abandon all hope. This hammer looks like a mounted rock crusher maybe 100 years old, hammer weight was calculated at an insane 200kg, and total weight 1300kg. I could not find any specific info on it except for the company. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

IMG-20201009-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20201009-WA0001.jpg

Welcome to IFI. I suggest editing your profile to show your location, as we won't remember it once leaving this post.

I googled that hammer and found the ad and more pictures. If I were in your place, I would pass on it because there probably won't be any consumable parts like seals and such for it and would have to be made. It looks like a steam powered hammer, which could be converted to compressed air but would take a huge air compressor to operate it.

Depending on the work you do or are planning, I would suggest building a mechanical hammer.

For the old ones a modern air supply is often more costly than the basic hammer.  I know of several people running old steam hammers on air; but they were always blacksmithing steam hammers originally.

No repair parts out there; but not a lot of parts to one either.  How is the valving on it?  Is it powered down as well as up?