I Forge Iron

Securing a plate (improvised anvil)

Got a nice piece of steel I cleaned up, cut a stump to size and chained it up. I don't have a drill press or I probably would've looked at bolts as a better alternative. I was able to cut small slots so the chain would align and bite to hold the plate in place and then lagged the chain into the wood in about four places. Worked pretty well for about 20 min, but the repeated vibrations pulled the plate out of the chain on the left side of this picture. Any tips on how to secure this better until I can get some thicker metal to use?

And before you get all hot and bothered, no, I'm not making anything significant out of the rebar. Just using it to heat and bang on to test the "anvil's" ability to take some hits.

20201005_123820.jpg

Get a bigger stump and just put nails around the edges.  Silicone calk the underside to help kill the noise!  While that would be a nice flattening surface; it's not a great shape for an anvil to hammer on---that is usually rated by depth of steel under the hammer so even though that plate is large the steel depth isn't.

You mean bigger as in, diameter? I cut this stump to height based on some of the recommendations I saw about height of working surface. I can try either some large nails or I can try making a few to put in place. Goal is still to get thicker steel and I’ll upgrade when I get the chance. If it works as another surface, though, then I’ll keep it around.

I saw your advice about the silicone on another thread as well. Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Any prep work needed for the metal or wood before applying?

Hard to put nails in around the edges; if the edges overhang the stump surface; so larger diameter.  Silicone caulk should cut drastically down on the neighbors with pitchforks and torches.

Any armor chunks from naval vessel rework being scrapped out there?  Nice thick steel.