I Forge Iron

Kast-o-Lite 30: Adding New to Previously Fired

I made a foundry out of ceramic wool and Kast-o-Lite 30 a while ago, but I didn't have quite enough to fill the foundry all the way to the top. There is a gap of approximately 2 inches at the top. I have already cured and fired the foundry and used insulating firebrick to fill the gap, but the bricks are now falling apart and I'd like to replace them with more Kast-o-Lite 30. Is there anything I should be aware of before I add the new mix? Will the new mix bond with the old, or should I expect a seam? If so, will it cause problems? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, you  can patch or add more Kastolite to cured Kastolite, it's very sticky. Butter it first and cure it properly. That is NOT a heat cure, Kastolite cures like Portland cement concrete, it hydrates it does NOT DRY. Once it sets then put your melter or whatever in a plastic garbage bag  with a sopping wet towel and seal it up for a day or two.

Remove it and allow it to dry thoroughly before lighting the burner. Let the burner run for maybe 10 minutes and shut it down. This is NOT a cure cycle! it's just to make sure the refractory blanket is completely dry.

Frosty The Lucky.