I Forge Iron

Critque for relined forge and burner

I'm coming out of the shadows. I have been reading and lurking for months to try and learn what I should do. Well I have done it. I finished relining my old propane shell forge. I bought the supplies from Glenn before I left on deployment. looks like I won't be able to upload pictures until I get back in to port. I will ask for Critque when I can upload photos.

I used 2 layers of #8 INSWOOL, properly "buttered" before I sprayed  with rigidizer, then heated to set. buttered wool again before applying  Plicast  3000, (it was free). Finally coated interior with Pilstix 900F. I think it is going to be good. I heated to yellow orange heat for about two hours, while I beat on some steel for practice. I will have to wait until I can send pictures.  thank you to All for providing this forums and all the help.

Welcome aboard Mighty Sea Turtle, glad to have you. Thank you for serving.

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your forge in action. It sounds good so far.

Be safe out there, we're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty,

Have you made a 1/2" style burner? I have some 1/2" schedule 160 pipe, will a 3/4" X 1/2" work (3/4" X 3/4" with a reducer). parts are limited out here. I'm thinking about making a burner out  of this. 1/2" schedule 160 pipe has a .466 ID which makes it just a little smaller than a 3/8" schedule 40, with lots of meat on the sides. Is the 3/4" run size to much air? I have 0.023 mig tips. I'm trying to make a hot little burner with what I have on hand. I figure the length to be 3.75, just a little over 8 X the ID. I can make any size flare needed. The only limit is the size of the whole in my forge. The old burner I have is a 3/4" with a Ron Reil SS flare on it. Forge has a 1 1/4" opening for the burner. Any suggestions? I'll make some burners until I can upload some pictures.

Parts I have  3/4 X3/4 T, 1/2 X1/2 T, reducer bushings, lots of pipe, threading machine, lathe, drill press.

No, I've never made a 1/2" T  but they are pretty popular in our club. a 3/4" x 1/2" T, a 4" nipple and a 0.023 mig tip is working for the guys. I don't measure the ID of the plumbing pipe we use, I did early on and wasted a LOT of time trying to figure out what the other dimensions should be. The T isn't that precise a burner, a close approximation is close tolerance for a T.

Schd 160 pipe on the other hand WILL change other stuff. I wouldn't worry about the T you use, there is a LOT of slack there if it draws too  much air file the jet open a little or move it farther into the throat. That's easy, just adjustment. The jet size is likely to be an issue I'm thinking you'll need to go with Mike's ink jet nozzles or drill your own. I don't know what dia it should be though, I'd be guessing.

A lathe will go a long way, how about boring the sched 160 closer to standard plumbing pipe ID?

Frosty The Lucky.