I Forge Iron

Former Engineer/Toolmaker newbie

Bill Kutz

Well, I am a newbie, having retired from Engineering/toolmaking in the prototype Robotic and Aircraft industries. 
All I know about being a Blacksmith is what I learned from my Uncle from the time I was 8 to the time I went to Vietnam. After I returned, he was gone. I went out to his grave and put the first metal I ever welded on his forge in the ground, and told him I missed him and I loved him.
As fate would have it. After my Cousins passed away I ended up with his forge. None of his other tooling was still there other then  some very old and large wrenches and 14 different All I have for an anvil is some pieces of railroad track. One section is old cast iron track, made in England and ended up on a mountain in Colorado.

It is about 3 feet by 5 feet and about 1 inch thick cast iron. I have no idea what kind of parts that these kinds of forges were used for. It even had some of his coal on it still. I will have to make the part that dumps the ashes, again I have no idea what the proper name of this part is. There is still a asbestos cloth around the connection for the blower. 

My Wife's Cousin sent me 2 really old books and 4 newer ones about Blacksmithing. I am looking forward to going back to school again to learn this passion.

While I do have some knowledge of metals, I am far from saying I know the first thing about what I am about to start. 

Should be fun.

Thanks for all the knowledge.

Bill

Edited by Mod34
Moved to proper section

Welcome aboard Bill, I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST   It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location (never know how many members are near you) and others about how to navigate the forum and stay off the moderators radar.:)