I Forge Iron

Ribbon burner forge... issues

Case_8

My ribbon burner forge builds up a lot of scale (too much air, according to what I’ve read here.) So I turn my blower down, and increase the propane. But when I turn the propane up, I get a very bad “cavitation” type sound from the forge. Its not only very unpleasant, but actually kinda scary sounding. Scratching my head to figure out where I went wrong. The forge still works, but can take a little while to heat the steel compared to what I feel it should be doing.

Note: I do not know what pressure my propane is running, the guage is faulty. Even if turned off and bled it still reads 5 or 6 psi.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon with their forge? 

9F6F59CD-2D00-4015-B397-581A5B0D2006.jpeg

Edited by Case_8
Attempted photo resizing

When you turn your air flow down you'll start to get burnback through your burner. This is because your flame front exceeds the velocity of the gas exiting the hole. I have found that most ribbon burners have way too many holes for efficient operation. I run mine on six holes and it gets as hot as I want with no problems whatsoever. Plug up about a third of your holes with Kaowool and see if the problem goes away.