I Forge Iron

Making a pair of scissors

• 1 month later...

I have, just recently in fact. The base stock was some 3"x.25" sq. (give or take on the length) and the finished shears are about 2" long. I'm sure you were thinking of something a little larger but there is an example of the small end of things. they are pretty basic to make. Shape the blade (half a leaf, beveled if you want), forge the tang out (simple tapering). The hardest partis remembering to place the base of the tangs on the cutting edge side, and making enough space for the rivet boss that will still allow the shears to close parallel to each other. if/when I can get some pictures I will show it in a blueprint. Hope this helped, if it didn't ask what you need to!

A month or so ago I was looking at Bronze Age tools and saw a pair of bronze scissors not to different for that pair picture in the gallery. Someone was trying to tell me Leonardo De Vinci invented scissors but if he did he sure lived a long time. At a European site there was a pair that looked like modern wool clippers and had their own wooden box for safe keeping.