I Forge Iron

Albert Paley's anvil

Last week was the dispersal auction of noted metalsmith Albert Paley.  His primary anvil, which I am guessing was about 450 pounds on a fabricated steel and wood base sold for $2200!  Interesting auction and there were many good buys on stuff (much of it very large)  if you needed it.

I can't believe I missed this auction.  Recently visited his shop and saw lots of interesting tools and equipment.  Still, friends who attended the auction indicated that everything seemed to go at premium prices (perhaps the cache of owning a "Paley" swageblock was part of it), and that the two Nazel power hammers were sold before the auction was even held.  Have to admit, I would have been interested in owning one of the hand hammers from the massive rack they had there for my collection.

The 500 pound drop hammer sold for $150!  Granted, it will cost several thousand dollars to move it and a few more thousand to house it.  Yes, both Nazels were sold prior to the auction and went to a shop in Kentucky.  A large lot of round stock, some 2" od and larger sold for around $250 - a great deal if you could use it.  Some interesting Paley designed fabricated bases made in house for some kind of architectural objects also sold for $250.  If I had brought my truck I would have bid on them just to place in the yard.. My purchases were limited to what I mentioned in the "It followed me home" thread.

I think the drop hammer would be classified as a strap hammer.  The moving ram had a heavy strap attached to it that was connected to a crank up top.  During operation, the crank would be held in place at the top of its rotation which raised the ram about 3'.  Stepping on the treadle would release the crank and the ram would drop.  The crank, being driven by a motor would continue its rotation and stop at the top of the rotation as long as your foot was off the treadle.  Multiple hits could be achieved by keeping the treadle depressed.  There are punch presses that utilize a similar mechanism.   I do have a picture of the hammer but unfortunately none of the crank mechanism.  I'll get it loaded here soon.