I Forge Iron

Sanity check with propane connections

Adam R.

Hi; for some background, I am just getting into blacksmithing and am getting my shop set up.  I decided to go with a commercial propane forge (2 burner Chile Forge) and have a 100lb propane tank waiting for its arrival.  I plan to keep the propane tank outside the shop about 20'-30' away from the forge, and run a line in though an open man door to the forge regulator.  I realize the regulator could theoretically leak over time, but I want to have the pressure control close at hand.  I also have a 20" louvered ceiling vent right over where the forge will go to help exchange air.  I do not at this time plan to run a permanent propane line through the wall of the shop. 

My question is about the proper connectors for this arrangement.  Ideally i would like to use a propane quick disconnect near the tank so when I shut everything down and purge the lines I can conveniently bring the hoses into the shop.  My concern about the QD connections is whether they are sufficient for the high pressure side of the tank? Or do they restrict the flow at all to prevent adequate fuel to the forge?

Option 1 Q.D. on high pressure side:  Propane Tank ->   Q.D. line -> forge regulator -> factory supplied line -> ball valves -> burners

Option 2 Q.D. at lower pressure:  Propane Tank -> 30 PSI high pressure regulator -> Q.D. line -> forge regulator ->  factory supplied line -> ball valves -> burners

Option 3 No Q.D. and deal with unscrewing the line:  Propane tank -> Extension line -> forge regulator ->  factory supplied line -> ball valves -> burners

Are any of these options dangerous or otherwise inadvisable?  Which is likely the best/safest option?  Anything I am missing that should be included?

Best Regards,

Adam

1 hour ago, Adam R. said:

Or do they restrict the flow at all to prevent adequate fuel to the forge?

No, they don't cause a flow problem, on either side of a regulator; but they can begin leaking minor amounts over time, so make sure they are kept well away from ignition sources.

Welcome to IFI. I'm sure the folks with propane connection experience will be along to answer your questions.

In the mean time I suggest reading this. READ THIS FIRST

See that we were posting at the same time. Now if we only knew where in the world you are located it will help answering a lot of other questions. If you do use quick disconnect fittings make sure they are rated for propane, air hose connections will not work for long before leaking.

12 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

If you do use quick disconnect fittings make sure they are rated for propane, air hose connections will not work for long before leaking.

Thank you for the warning, I do plan to purchase MB Sturgis brand propane specific fitting, they seem to be fairly reputable.

12 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

where in the world you are located

PA, I've updated my profile.

12 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

but they can begin leaking minor amounts over time, so make sure they are kept well away from ignition sources.

Fair point.  They will be located outside of the shop, but still; especially for the added cost, perhaps something I wouldn't want to deal with long term.