I Forge Iron

Firebrick in MD/brick-pile forge

Hello from Iron Antler Forge! I just joined the team.

I have some firebrick that a friend gave me and I want to build a brick-pile forge with it. The problem is there are several different types of brick and I don't know the temp. rating of any of them. Does anyone know of a Place is MD, preferably the DC/metro area, where I could take some samples to have their secrets told?
Also, any good info out there on building a good brick-pile forge? I'm looking into building a 30" x 30" x 7" forge with 4 of the T-Rex or larger 1" model burners.

Thanks everyone!

IAF

You are planning a huge forge. I assume it is for sheet metal work. Remember you only need to heat as much area as you can work before it cools down. It will need an incredible amount of fuel if those are inside measurements. Look for a pottery supply shop and compare to their bricks. If you have hard brick, it will take even longer for the bricks to get to temp.

WELCOME TO THE BLACKSMITHING CLUB

well i just sed some brick in my yard and it never did anything so dont be worred just build it

The lighter the brick the more insulating it will be, as far as temp rating, I wouldn't worry too much about it since they are easily replaced and they were free, just use what you have.

welder19

Sabre, You may have just been lucky. The wrong kind of brick exposed to heat will explode due to moisture expansion. I don't think it would be prudent to say "Just do it!" in this case. I would want to KNOW what I am using. Just my 2 cents :)

A brick will only explode if it has moisture in it, and that goes for a fire brick as well, if you were to expose a standard masonry brick to extreme heat it will basically just melt, but if there is moisture in it then yes it can spall do to the steam created in side.
When ever using a fire brick that your usure about it is best to heat slowly in case there is any moisture in it.

welder19

yes dodge i know lol we had 1 brick pile that was clay that had to be 50 years old and one that was like 2 years old that was some wierd clayish stuff.

they both worked fine and after awile of use they would break a little easseier when i dropped them on rocks