I Forge Iron

W1 fighter/utility

Sam Salvati

Here is a knife I finished up today! On a roll:thumbup:!

Steel: W1 from Aldo (thanks again Aldo!) quenched in BRINE (woo scary:eek:)
Handle: Amboyna burl scales (thanks again Mike!), 3 brass pins
Length: 10 11/16ths overall
Blade: 7 1/16th
Handle: 3 5/8ths
Taper: a hair over 1/4 thick at the butt, down to 1/8th at the tip
POB: right in front of the handle

Fit and finish:
Satin finish on the blade, handle sanded to 400 grit then scotch brited then boiled linseed oiled, a few scratches here and there, SHARP.

Overall impression:
A bit miffed the handle is short, not unusable short you can still get a full grip on it no problem, but would have been nice to have atleast another 1/2 inch. Other than that VERY happy with how it turned out, did I mention SHARP??!?

I had posted this one awhile back, it was coming along great and I said how nice it would look with Amboyna for the scales, but lamented at not having any :(. Mike Davis shot me an email saying he happened to have a gorgeous set of bookmatched amboyna scales and if I would like them to put on the knife(thanks AGAIN Mike)! The steel I got from Aldo last year at Ashokan, he said "here, see what you can do with this" :D (thanks AGAIN Aldo).

Comments and critique welcome!

IS THIS THE END OF THE NON-FINISHER!?!?! TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR THE EXCITING CONCLUSION!!!!!!!!!;)

7144.attach

7145.attach

7146.attach

7147.attach

7148.attach

7149.attach

7150.attach

7151.attach

Now this is what I was afraid of Sam, once you start finishing a few you will start to steam roll and really make me look bad ;)

A good looking blade, fit and finish is excelent from what I can see. About the only thing that would have made it better would have been a bigger grip, like you mentioned, the flow is a bit off balanced with such a short grip verses the long blade, plus the slight drawback in usability a short grip causes. But a great job.
Love the Amboyna! Been looking to get myself some. I need to start making your friends mine if they are going to give you all this nice material ;) .

Keep em comming!

• 4 weeks later...