I Forge Iron

New procedure(to me)

Fabbing up a medium end indoor railing today. Often mig weld, them spend lost of time cleaning up. Always wondering if I should spend more time welding(tig), and no time cleaning. So today, I sprayed some mig filler in there, then went over it with tig, fusion only, washed the welds around, beautiful result, no clean up at all. Yes I use anti-spatter spray, etc, but nothing looks as good as tig.

Just a note. I frequently stick stuff together with MIG and then hit the weld with torch and forge the weld ( this is for production stuff I do ). You can also mig it and then hotfile it to smooth ( if not a place that can be hammered). Wish I had a tig rig. I use acetelyne to smooth the weld in the same procedure though. It will scale more and have a larger heat zone but procedure works well.

I just wanted a better looking weld. Ten Hammers, if you have a dc stick welder, you can get set up with a gas cooled tig torch, and a little juction block (can't remember the right term for it), argon hose connects to one side, torch to the other side, and weld current, and scratch start tig all you want. Make sure you get a torch with a gas shut off valve built in. Should be around $200. Of course you will also need tungsten, filler rods, an argon regulator or flowmeter, and an argon tank.