I Forge Iron

clay

a word of warning about clay. any type of clay used to seal or for any use in your forge for that matter must be left to dry for at least 5 days (+or- depending on size) before fireing...or it will explode from steam and send hot chunks of clay and charcoal flying everywere burnings stuff including but not limited to, your favorite shirt, plastic tarps, the fence, grass and screens on windows....as an aditional note hairjell burns fairly vigorously as well....so ya be careful

FIN

I have used the soil, if you want to call it that, right out of my yard. We have very little organic material in our soil out here but do have granite particles. I usually buy fire clay at the masonry supply dealer in 25# bags though instead. Sounds like you just had a real fun experience especially with the hair jell.

Edited by Bentiron1946

Bailey Ceramic Supply

This place is good to deal with and they have pretty good prices.
If you want to search and find someplace close to you or want to compare prices, then search for pottery or ceramic supplies, not just clay or fire clay, the term fire clay is just a generic name for high temp clay.

welder19 Edited by welder19

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good fireclay source near South Central Missouri (Houston)?
Moved down here in March and most of what I've managed to dig up from the yard looks more like your typical Red potters clay. What little Grey clay I've found has an enormus sand content to it (getting washed so I guess thats a bit irrelevant, still, not much there to wash. ) and not sure yet if thats Aluminum oxides or just an abundant lead oxide :confused:

Current plan is to build a multi-taskng furnace for foundry & glassmaking but I dont think my natural resources are gonna' handle the temp's. Of course this is the Ozarks so I guess I'll keep digging (Sooo many sandstone boulders in my way thou, but that just means I'll be more ready to swing the 18 lb. hammer when she's all done & dry. ;) Always a bright side. )