I Forge Iron

Fagot welding

Hey guys, I got a bunch of tiny scraps of wrought iron and mild steel im going to try and weld up into a stack, I guess they call this a stack or fagot weld. I'v never done a weld like this, is there any thing I should know? What kinda flux to use? Borax, Sand, Clay? What temp to weld at?
Any info would be great. -Andrei

Borax.
AS for welding it together, remember weld temp for wrought is HIGHER than weld temp for mild steel. SO, with that said if you are going to pre-stack the pieces, I would suggest using wrought for the outer layers. Bring to a dull red and flux. Thenb bring to weld temp and lightly hit them with the hammer.
Problem with welding is that most folks whack it too hard ........

Good luck and keep us informed.......

Ralph
8)

Ralph makes a good suggestion on putting the softer of the two metals on the outside of the stack. Good tip anytime. You don't state how many layers you are going to start with or if you plan to do folds and reweld for damascus. I would suggest that you brush alot and when you weld, heat from the end grain. This helps get the heat between the layers and not from the side As you heat, slowly and roll back and forth to heat one edge then the other. Always apply your welding hammer blows in the middle and work twards the edge to drive out flux and debri. Why are you welding two soft metals? We love new ideas. Doing this is alot of fun. Remember alot of welds don't take because of scale and such so brush, brush, brush. Brad

I was thinking i would be a good way to get rid a bunch of the small scraps a got floating around my shop. And I thought it would make a cool pattern. If i can get it welded into one solid brick im going to cut and reweld it a couple of times to build up the layers. y use soft metals? y not? I dont know what im gonna use it for yet and if i make a blade out of it i can just weld a piece of high carbon steel on for an edge.

why not? Go for it ! I made my wife a really cool bracelet out of mildsteel and pallet banding strap. http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=95&pos=7
I would recomend starting with 2 peices , do that a few times till you get the hang of it , then go to 3 , then 4 or more, also you can wire the stack together with bailing wire ( use 4-5 turns around it ) or clothes hanger wire I sometimes use visegrips too. Wire both ends, as when you weld one the other will want to spread on you, for longer bilets you may even wire in 3 or more places. Any forge welding Makes for good practice :) Keep at it Andy