I Forge Iron

Propane gas forge burner HELP

Jake From State Farm

My front burner works pretty good the back burner spits and sputters. I’ve cut a hole in the back thinking it needed more air. But it still sputters. After a few minutes, the flame will come up either burner hole sometimes it’ll come up both of them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Jake From State Farm said:

My front burner works pretty good the back burner spits and sputters

Actually, both burners are in terrible shape; one is just working worse than the other. Those green flames mean that they are HEAVILY reducing, and pouring out carbon monoxide, but not much heat. You are getting chimney effects in running burners, because they are running so weak!

On the other hand, you seem to have constructed the forge okay, and large burner problems, more often than not, come from small construction boo-boos :)

So, strip the burners out of the forge and prepare to change them. You can start by sending a photo of one of the burners--not running please--so why can get clued in on why it went wrong; it probably won't be any big deal.

Okay, the problem with your burners is their design. Do you have a rotary tool (small electric die grinder)? You can purchase one cheap on eBay or buys an import. Forget paying extra for more than one speed. Also buy a couple of 3" thin cutoff wheels for it. Then cut away the steel between the air holes, turning them into slots; that shoild turn your burners into something decent. You can do more with them if that isn't enough, but lets start with just that change, and see how it works out.

Note: to get a good rotary tool cheap on eBay, look for a perfectly good used grinder that is only single speed; these are going dirt cheap because people want to be able to adjust tool speed, and are replacing their strong old rotary tools with weak new ones, instead of buying a separate $20 controller for them :)

You aren't going to find "anything like it" either; its a conglomeration of different burners, and not all that bad a job either. To changing the air openings I will add filing a taper on the MIG's end, and increasing the taper on the flame retention nozzle a little more, or using one of step nozzle designs. But if you don't start by changing the air openings, none of the other things will help you enough.