I Forge Iron

I'm a brazing failure

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, ytuyuty said:

Okay, I'll admit it. I can't braze anything. And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. In the videos, it looks so easy. Clean, flux, heat, and the joint just sucks up the solder. Done!

Dont know if you figured this out but my guess is you are cooking the flux off and the surface is oxidizing before you apply the solder. It is hard not to do this with a cooler torch like a mapp torch especially with a butt joint. Most solder joints are lapped like previously stated. This is easier with a cooler torch because the capillary action sucks the flux into the joint where it is not burned off as easily. With a hotter torch with a carbonizing flame such as a presto lite acetylene torch this is not as much of a problem and open joints can be brazed. A turbo torch with mapp also works a little better but not as good as acetylene. Also it is better to heat from the back side as not to burn off the flux you can also reapply flux while heating to clean the surface to dissolve oxidization and improve whetting. I'm not a brazing pro but I'm a plumber and the same concepts apply for silver solder and brazing. Also I like the sil phos idea previously staled because it has flux on the rod. Anyways good luck that's my 2 cents.