I Forge Iron

Another T Burner Question

LukeDM

Hello all. I've recently assembled my first forge shell and Frosty burner, and would like to invoke the forum's expertise. My burner has what I'd call a "woof" and will blow off the end of the burner and extinguish itself.

I tried inserting it into the shell of my forge (without kaowool or rigidizer) to see if back pressure would solve the problem; it did not. In fact, it seems to make it a little worse. I was wanting to get the burner going properly to cure my rigidizer before I lined the forge.

Here is a video of what it does in the forge shell.  It will eventually extinguish itself. 

The burner is built to the specifications in Frosty's write up: a high pressure regulator to a ball valve, 1/4" copper to a 1/4x1/8 flare x male thread tapped to accept a .035 mig tip in a 1x3/4 tee with a 6" nipple and a thread protector. My forge is an old expansion tank for water heaters, a little smaller than a 20 lb propane bottle. 

What does it look like to y'all? Is it just an alignment issue? I think I have the hole and threads centered in the tee, but I'm not so confident in the threads I had to tap in the flare fitting.

Additionally, I'm having trouble locating any more of these fittings. To make matters worse, I'm a plumber! It's not from lack of knowledge or connections, none of my suppliers have been able to get them. If I had more, I'd just try another. I also tried to bend the mig tip into alignment, to no avail. Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

It looks like the jet's out of alignment. So use a different fitting, I can't find 1/4" flare x 1/8" pipe worth using anymore either. One of our guys uses 1/4" flare threaded into the T and tapped for the mig tip and the other side is 3/8" MPT to connect directly to the propane hose. Heat isn't an issue with Tristan's burners, they aim up through the floor.

I'm not saying use that fitting, my point is use what you can find and adapt to it. And NO, not with some long string of fittings. Just find a fitting you can tap to make up to the mig tips. 

Being as your forge shell is empty the flame is aimed into a pocket so back pressure may be cycling. Eg. runs right, back pressure goes up, flame woofs out, pressure drops, flame takes off again. Repeat till operator gets tired of it.

Also exhaust gasses may be getting directed out and toward the burner intakes. This can cause the woof cycle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wonderful. Thank you very much Frosty! I can't say how much your posts have helped me. You synthesize information well, and spend your time helping people solve the same problems ad nauseum. I wonder how many people wouldn't have begun to forge if it weren't for this forum.