I Forge Iron

Swage Identification

Kaladin

I just picked up this swage and was wondering if anyone knows the general age, maker, or metal type. I have been looking for one for a long time and payed $650 for this one. It came out of an old barn in Montana. 

It is 18"x 13" x 4.25" and weighs around 145-150.  

Swage.jpg

Thanks JHCC, I got lucky and found a catalog with this swage in it.

https://www.swageblocks.com/swage_block_gallery_d18.htm

It was selling for $11.50 in 1929 and looks to be a Green River block possibly made by Wiley & Russell or the Noyes Foundry Company. I have heard these catalog pictures can be copied or wrong, but still close enough to get the general info on this swage. Really cool, I am glad I was able to rescue it and will be putting it back to work!

• 2 months later...

I've got this exact swage block and stand.  Just brought it home today and was trying to locate the maker.   Clicked on this thread and BANG!  There was everything I needed to know. 

Thank for posting that link.

Cheers!

Dave

On 1/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, Kaladin said:

Thanks JHCC, I got lucky and found a catalog with this swage in it.

https://www.swageblocks.com/swage_block_gallery_d18.htm

It was selling for $11.50 in 1929 and looks to be a Green River block possibly made by Wiley & Russell or the Noyes Foundry Company. I have heard these catalog pictures can be copied or wrong, but still close enough to get the general info on this swage. Really cool, I am glad I was able to rescue it and will be putting it back to work!

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg