I Forge Iron

Propane forge liner.

Dave M

I am in the process of building 2 new propane forges, 1 small body and 1 large body. These will replace my 1st old propane forge which is not very efficient or well made.:( The small body is going to be a single burner round body forge made from one of those party helium tanks using a ron reil style burner. The large body forge is made from one of those spare air tanks with 2 ron reil burners. I would like to use the new body fluid soluble non ceramic blanket. This new type of blanket is made as such if fibers become air born and you breath them in the moisture in your lungs dissolves the fibers so as not to possibly be come cancerous. It cost a little bit more but I think it is worth avoiding the health risks. It comes in
1" 8# @ 2300 degrees. Is that temp high enough because I have to buy it by the roll:(? I know koawool blanket comes in heat ratings up to 2600 degrees

I might go in with you if you want to get the Aumina 3000* stuff. I think it is usually whole rolls at 25 feet and 50 feet. I am awaiting a reply from another vendor in Chicago area that has a 3K* blanket as well. I am working on a "Dueling T-Rex" design. Nur zein augen!! Double walled and ITC mortared inner chamber. The secret is the placement of the burners. I am doing a baseline with the one T-Rex that came Saturday. I also want the 3K stuff so I can also make a smelter without calling it so close.jet

• 2 weeks later...

Zoweee!!
I just did a little premilminary research on the Zircar SALI mouldable mix and it looks like the Kat's meow for a small to medium gasser. But a 1 gallon bottle of pre-mix is more than $300:o

I guess, if you have a serious need, this stuff would be phenomenal. HObbiests like myself may want to stick to one of the still-effective but less expensive means available.