I Forge Iron

Hello there

Daedelus

Hi all,

I'm a 28 year old, IT Networking admin located in the Netherlands. I have been reading this forum for quite some time, but didn't have anything to contribute or give you guys back.
After running into some issues I can't quite put my finger on (pun intended) I decided to create my account to ask a few questions and learn even more from this great community.

As for my background:
I am someone who wants to do a lot of things himself, to learn the details of the work. I wanted to expand my general skills and started with an arc welder. Since then I have picked up a mig/mag welder with which I have made myself comfortable. 

I also have always had great respect for blacksmithing and casting which I wanted to learn myself. I have gained some experience using coal for a forge and foundry and want to expand this. For now I used a small traintrack as an anvil, with which e.g. I made myself a planthanger using bending and welding.

My girlfriend and I followed a blacksmith course in which we created the base (heating, drilling, sizing etc) for our own pattern welded wedding rings which was absolutely awesome. This lighted my interest into building a propane forge and that's how I came to creating my account.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Irondragon Forge and Clay.

At the moment of writing my introduction, I was having trouble with my DIY propane burner. After having a few good reads on these pages, I came to a few different solutions (or parts of one). After learning and experimenting some more, dare I say it's working very nicely now. I will be adding this to burners 101 if allowed.

My design sketch and results are included in this post:

- DIY burner, to screw in my:
- DIY forge using firebricks and a steel cage, so I can hammer on my:
- DIY traintrack anvil (now completed with pritchel hole, in this picture it wasn't completed yet)

Thanks all for this great community.

MyDIY_BurnerDesign.jpg

MyDIY_Forge-Burner-TraintrackAnvil.jpg

MyDIY_BurnerTesting.jpg