I Forge Iron

should I weld this anvil?

i picked this anvil a few years ago with the thought of possably useing it for classes but it is a old pattern and ive been looking at possably fixing it up for my demo anvil..I was told it was used by 3 generations of blacksmith for sharpening picks and the pock marks are where they tested the pick.I was thinking of welding it up with my mig ... just lay weld beads to build it back up then grind it to get it looking better ... any ideas ?

0252.JPG
by the way the face looks pretty good ... a few small dings but pretty nice considering the age...

for some reason there is no thumnail on it.... try clicking on the x... it comes up on my comp on my anvil the face and edges are fine its the body thats really badly pockmarked (its almost a inch deep in places....)

Thumbnail repaired and photo included into the post.

Edited by dablacksmith

Oooo, I like the lead idea. Maybe a 70/30 alloy would have more holding power, like the stuff that was used in auto body work. Still, getting that mass up to heat would be a bear of a job and that tin of Bondo

By the time you glued enough 6011 or whatever rod into the side of this old beauty to bring the dinged-up side up to grade you'd have heated the poor thing to the point where whatever original temper the top had would be long gone. Leave the poor tortured beastie alone. If you want a pretty anvil for the audience to look at, buy a new one. Or as the man sez, Bondo this one. Do NOT weld on it. Please.