I Forge Iron

Epoxy seal on gas forge?

Jaja

I have the (brass) pipes for the jet of my LPG forge sealed with teflon tape (the gas rated stuff) except in one spot. Basically I got help building the forge at a machine shop and they tightened xxxx xxx one of the fittings right before the jet tip. I asked them to remove them but they reassured me there is no way that thing would leak. I'm no expert but the way the guy explained it is the way he made the threads was in such a way the more you tighten it, the better the seal and the further dug in the part would become. I guess it was similar to how those 3/8 inch flares work where the end is slightly tapered to prevent gas from escaping. I trusted it.

Testing my burner for leaks before lighting the very first time I find a slight leak in the exact spot. I tried pretty much everything to unscrew that thing. Redoing the part will cost me more money, which I am frankly not willing to spend assuming it cannot be unscrewed at this point (it cost me over 100 US plus the additional 100 US that got stolen from me the very same day to put together the casing and the burner :/). Heck the shop might even charge me just to unscrew it if they can. Where I live that's just the way business operates xxxx.

So I was basically looking for a quick but effective solution at home, because I have spent over a year on this project and I won't be able to mess with it for...who knows how long after August (long story short, I won't be at home to work on it).

I tried using some JB Kwik epoxy I had lying around to seal that area. The stuff is definitely going to stand up to the pressure, my worry is the heat. Its rated for 300F and though this part of the burner is about a foot or more away from the direct heat of the forge, I'm just not sure how hot it might get near the jet.

So if you guys think the epoxy will hold safely, I will light burner tomorrow when the epoxy cures. If not, I'll have no choice but to find someone to help me unscrew the part....if its possible.

Here ya go. The dark grey blob is the epoxy. Don't have any pictures from before...its basically a threaded joint. No obvious gaps. The leak was very very small...without soap water I would have never detected it.

DSC00887.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

I will post a picture of the burner tomorrow (well later today by my time...sometime in the morning) sorry for the delay. I'll also post it with the frame of the forge so you guys can see how far from the heat it will be.