I Forge Iron

Rapid Togs and Quick Tongs

Dillion Brian Grant

So i am currently looking at byong a set of tongs and was wondering if anybody has used thes tongs before they are from kens custom iron they are mild steel the rapid tongs are 5/16 and come with 5 differnet types of blanks they are aboit 60 dollars after shipping and the quick tongs are a set of 4 blanks that are 3/8 thick also mild steel and they are about the same cost was hoping to get some reviews on them 

Dillion - yes I've used these tongs sets and they are really easy to make.  I prefer them because they take less time to make than the traditional methods.  I think it's the cheapest way to go to get a nice set of tongs to begin with.  Buying new tongs ready to use is an expensive venture and making your first set as a first project can be frustrating.  I bought used antique tongs to get started with and only paid between $7 - $10 a piece, but you are very much at the mercy of the hunt and what turns up.  What I like about the quick tongs is that you make them how you want them.  Do yourself a favor though and make each set to be able to hold stock straight and sideways like a wolf jaw tong type set-up.  This doubles the effectiveness of them and maximizes the money you invested.

Do yourself a second favor and watch the videos he puts out that shows you how to make them.  It's easy to twist the jaw the wrong way and wind up having to fix it.  Black Bear Forge on Youtube also took these tongs and did an instructional video on them.  I personally prefer the quick tongs as they have longer reins.