I Forge Iron

My latest blade...

Don A

Here's my submission to the "scrounged materials" Knife in the Hat over on the Primal Fires site:

KITH2.jpg

KITH1.jpg

The full-tang blade is an old Diston file from a hand full of "throw aways" an old gentleman gave me.

The handle is black walnut from my 2003-04 wood pile.

The guard is pewter from a melted-down yard sale tea pitcher.

The pins are 10 penny nails.

Over-all, about 8 5/8" with the blade around 4.5".

Very Nice ! I must be scrounging in the wrong places, since I've never found anything that nice ! LOL
I do have a question. I assume you have the blade heat treated ( Normalized, hardened, tempered to the right hardness) before you put the handle on it. When you pour the pewter for the front guard, does it affect the heat treating of the blade enough to worry about, or is the temp of the melted pewter lower than your tempering temp ? Or, do you have the blade wrapped in wet cloths to keep it from getting too warm ?

Ray Plank

Thanks for the kind words. I really had a good time with this one.

Ray,

If you look real close at the pictures, you can see a slight halo on the blade that follows the shape of the guard. I was supposed to have this all polished out, but flash photography will show stuff you'd rather it didn't :wink:

Anyway, this halo originally ran to just a light bronze color, and only as far as it shows, so the heat would have had no negative effects on the blade. I heated the pewter until it would just begin to scorch a sliver of pine wood (like a tooth-pick) and then poured it. This was my first try at pouring pewter, and I'll definitely be trying it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Jens,

Good question; let's see if this works:

bolster.jpg

You are correct... one hole drilled thru (just like for a pin) and two half-circles filed top & bottom (with a small round file).

This should keep it locked in tight.

Peyton,

I built the form for this one from aluminum foil. The foil did stick a bit, but I cast it oversize and filed it to shape along with the handle.

I used foil to try and accomidate the curved shape, but most folks use a heavy paper like index card stock.

Whatever you use, tape it good and tight. The molten pewter flows like water and it will quickly find any cracks or holes in your form. You can easily end up with pewter-plated boots!