I Forge Iron

Hot cut hardy from a pavement breaker bit (I like the collar). 

I hammered (all by hand - my forge is pretty primitive as far as power tools) the shank square from the original hex shape, then cross-peened the heck out of the thing to rough shape. Finished with grinder. 

It was originally about 3/4" taller (unnecessary, really), until I burned the edge in the forge in the last heat before treating - GRRRR! So I cut off the burned part and realized I still had plenty material to finish. 

Oil quenched, tempered to deep straw/gold.

Rubbed generously with gun oil to inhibit rust. 

It cut a horseshoe and some 1/2" mild square stock easily without damage to the edge, so I'm happy with it. 

Input and suggestions for improvement on the next one welcome!!IMG_1794.thumb.JPG.57b0355a0e478eee26d5491ff1e304a6.JPG

IMG_1793.thumb.JPG.c78e743953e6e5e1a2be562b64c7452b.JPGIMG_1790.thumb.JPG.63df24249b6c364e1c8a7c33f95c1926.JPG

Nicely done. 

I use jackhammer bits for hardy tools. You can probably get away without the oil hardening if you are only going to cut hot iron/steel. 

In the event of a misplaced hammer blow the hardy may dent but it's easy to fix it up again with a file or grinder. 

Given the choice, I would rather put a dent in the hardy tool in stead of damaging a good hammer . 

Good point!

I have a 3 lb sledge that is solely dedicated to striking other tools (punches, drifts) and hot cutting. It never contacts working steel, so if its face gets a little marred, I can live with it. 

Mod note: there is no need to quote the immediately preceding comment in its entirety when replying. We can all see what you’re responding to. 

Edited by Mod34
Excess quoting removed