I Forge Iron

Coleman Air Hammer

ya i saw his video and it looks good... i built a air hammer but it cycled to slow for me ... also didnt like running the compressor all the time .i will eventually fix it with those controls or sell it...My shop has a power hammer now so not as interested in it...tho the air hammer has bonuses to its dezign ..

That video showed a very slow hammer. I'm not sure if it was due to a small compressor or the hammer design. I would get many opinions and do a lot of research on Chris Coleman's design before investing in the parts list. It looks to have a lot of extra parts compared to the Kinyon which means a lot more money. If you like his control and the single blow option, look up "Controlling Your Air Hammer" by Mark Linn. He sells a video that walks you through his control system. I was impressed after buyiing it and from both videos think that his design is much better than the Coleman.

Bentiron,

Here's the address for a friend of mine who makes a nice hammer.

Metal Art - Tools

I've got one in my shop and it's been a great little workhorse.

It's really well behaved and if I remember correctly, it's coming in around 180 bpm. It want's 18cfm @ 90lbs - I'm running an IR 7hp with 24cfm @ 90lbs and it does a great job of staying ahead of the hammer.

He'll sell you a completed hammer or break it down into kits where you can buy just the components and build your own.

One of the features I like best is the foot pedal on a hose. You can move it around anywhere you want depending on the stock you're hammering so you're not slaved to the foot ring at the base of the anvil - it makes for a MUCH more comfortable way to work!

In the one video he is showing the ability to control the rate of blows similar to the Big Blu which is a bonus but you are correct in that there are lots of parts. I currently have a 25# Little Giant that needs to have the bearings re-poured and that is a substantial cost if it has to be hired done. With my health issues it is easier to weld up a small air hammer then wrestle with large LG parts. I have investigate the Zoller air hammer which is a small Kinyon with up grades in controls so it may be a better option. It would still be nice to have the control Coleman has for tooling and clamping. Then there is this option for a small hammer YouTube - My mini power hammer. or perhaps this one YouTube - power hammer :D