I Forge Iron

Can you help me identify this anvil?

I recently picked up this 340lb anvil at an auction. The side is pretty rough. I think there is a mix of manufacturer's and owner's stamp on it. I think the small "T" at the top right and the "K" at the top were from the manufacturer. I think everything else was added by a previous owner. The white lettering is from some flour I used to try to find all the marks.

There is a 3 stamped under the horn. I don't see any other marks.

Thanks

20180513_131431.jpg

20180514_112631.jpg

20180514_113240.jpg

20180514_124803.jpg

20180514_124507.jpg

20180514_124520.jpg

I ran a wire wheel over the front foot and found a faint outline of a 9. The front of the foot is pretty eroded so that may be all I ever get. I would be curious about how old the age of the anvil, but I'm more than happy with the purchase regardless. 

Thanks for the input.

Welcome to IFI. I always suggest reading this thread to get the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48833-read-this-first/

BTW: looks like you have a nice Hay Budden that will clean up with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. If you haven't already read, please don't do any milling or grinding on the face of her. Hammering  hot steel will shine it up very well.

4 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

.....please don't do any milling or grinding on the face of her. Hammering  hot steel will shine it up very well.

Thank you for the reminder. The face is in great shape. A wire wheel to knock some rust off, then put her back to work is all she needs. Definitely no grinding. 

1 hour ago, paulgatx said:

Was this the Kyle estate sale where they had 4 or 5 anvils?  I only learned about it Sat afternoon by the time it was nearly done ... kicking myself.  How much did you get it for out of curiosity?

Yes, this was the Kyle estate. I got this Hay Budden for $800. I also got a 200# Peter Wright for $400. One of the edges on the Peter Wright is a little beat up but it's still very usable.

They didn't sell the entire estate Saturday. There was a 150# Vulcan in one of the trailers that I'm pretty sure they didn't get to Saturday. Not as nice as the Hay Budden or the Peter Wright but it was in great shape. And, they still have at least 4 semi's to unload. Who knows what they will find there. Eatch for part 2 of the sale in about a month.