I Forge Iron

Setting up shop in my garage

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself...

I'm new to blacksmithing.  I do have some experience gas welding, arc welding, milling and other machining, casting iron, and a fair amount of practical and academic expertise in heat treating -- my master's thesis was on heat treating 4340 steel.

I'm in the process of setting up my first blacksmith shop.  I've purchased an anvil, a couple hammers, a few other items and I have a number of other tools that I've collected over time that I can use too.  In a few years, I'll retire from my day job and have a large, dedicated shop but for now I'm planning a small space in my garage which presents some challenges. 

I'm still looking for a forge but have some time while I'm building out a workspace.  One challenge I have is that I cannot permanently mount the anvil, forge, etc. as they all have to be rolled out of the way at the end of the day due to HOA parking rules.  I haven't started the buildout, I've been looking at every shop picture or layout that I can find and making lots of scribbles on napkins and envelopes!

Welcome aboard Randwulf, glad to have you. What do you mean by "permanently mount"? There are a number of fellows who bury one end of a log or large timber several feet in the ground for their anvil stand. That's what I think of by permanent. On the other hand both my anvils have permanent stands but they're mobile. I didn't get them quite right so I need to lash the anvil to the hand truck to move them around without worrying about them shifting and falling. They're still mobile. Same story for forges, vises, etc.

I don't care for the folding stand I made for my smaller leg vise, it's not solid enough in use but I have plans for a much better one when I get around to making it. 

A little thought maybe rearranging in the garage and your kit should't take up much more than a lawn mower and propane BBQ. Wheel it out to use it and wheel it back when done. The one SERIOUS warning though is the forge itself if solid fuel, coal, charcoal, etc. then there may be embers smoldering for hours in some cases a couple days after you're done. A propane forge can stay hot enough to light paper for hours after you shut it off. Charcoal/wood is notorious for leaving glowing embers buried in the ashes for days. Some places you're responsible for wood ashes for 3 days. 

All these things are just details that can be handled. I simply rake out my coal forge into a steel bucket, pour in water and stir. Coal and breeze dry out. You can do the same with charcoal it just takes longer to dry out. 

I use a steel serving cart, yard sale score, as the forge stand it rolls easily on pavement and I can lay it over my forge in the pickup to protect the forge and keep flammables off it. I lucked into the stand but it shouldn't be much to copy in spirit. 

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Randwulf, glad to have you. What do you mean by "permanently mount"? There are a number of fellows who bury one end of a log or large timber several feet in the ground for their anvil stand. That's what I think of by permanent. On the other hand both my anvils have permanent stands but they're mobile. I didn't get them quite right so I need to

Thank you for the welcome, Frosty.

By "permanently mount", I meant sinking timber into the ground.  My anvil stand will sit on top of concrete.  I have an ash round about 18 inches in diameter that I could use but I was a little worried about it getting away from me when I dragged it out into my work area.  My old copy of Machinery's Handbook suggests putting the anvil on a cast iron stand but they're not easy to find--I've never even seen one in-person.  I like your idea of using a hand truck to move the anvil and stand about, I was thinking of putting it on a skid to drag it around, apparently "the wheel" is just a bit too advanced for my brain!  I'd like to see a picture of your anvil/stand strapped to your hand truck if you have one.

I think I have a pretty good solution for a movable workbench to mount my vice on.  I built what I call my "potting bench" out of redwood 2x6 a number of years ago.  It has heavy casters on one end and extends 6" or a bit more on the other side.  It's a bit awkward but not difficult to pick up the extension end and wheel it about, even if the bottom shelf is loaded down with masonry blocks or other junk, it functions like a big wheelbarrow.  I don't think I've ever taken a picture of it, I'll try to do that and put it up here.  It has been great to have a sturdy workbench that I can move around for home projects.  I have a Dewalt compound miter saw that sits on it so much that one could be excused for thinking it was permanently mounted.

For the forge, I'll probably get a small gas one for now and a larger coal fired unit when I can move out of the city.  Pretty sure my California neighbors would complain if I let a little coal smoke blow into their yard!  Your steel serving cart sounds like a good solution for your rolling your forge around.  I was contemplating putting some concrete stepping stones on my potting bench and putting the forge on top of that.  I don't know how hot the bottom of the forge will get though so not sure if that is enough insulation.  My bench will be outside when the forge is on but I still don't want it to catch fire.